Hasan Cenk Dereli, Nazlı Ödevci and Fulya Tekin’s project ‘Giysi Takası’ (‘Clothing Swap’) questions the current culture of consumption which sets its grounds in transiency, innovation and creating trends and has an impact, from fashion to architecture, on our daily habits, lifestyles and preferences in design. Today, architecture has become a significant agent to the culture of consumption; it opens to discussion a sustainability concept in which new potentials for use for the currently available structural stock are assessed as an alternative to the speculative estate production which requires that structures or pieces of the city are made obsolete to be replaced with new ones. The first swap is on 21 October 2012, Sunday at Istanbul Modern.
1. A maximum of 5 pieces will be taken and 5 pieces will be given during the swap.
2. Worn, torn, ripped, smelly, and dirty clothes will not be accepted. Swap staff will be checking the clothes.
3. Accepted swap products: Dress, coat, hat, scarf, gloves, shoes, bags, scarves, jackets, t-shirts, hats, ties, pants, shirts, shorts, skirts, sweaters, vests, tights, belt. INACCEPTABLE swap products: panties, bras, boxer, bikini, swimwear, hosiery, watches and accessories.
4. Tickets are specific to a single swap, may not be used for others.
5. Regardless of its content, every product can be exchanged with another. A pair of jeans, can be traded with a vest, a dress or a shoe.
6. Avoid delivering only t-shirts to exchange.
7. Clothes you have submitted for swap, are not yours anymore.
1. Clothes will be taken from the Cloth Swap room at Istanbul Modern’s Musibet Exhibition on the morning of October 21, 2012 Sunday between 10:00 to 13:00. Clothes will not be accepted between 13:00 to 14:00. The swap begins at 14.00 and ends at 17.00.
2. Cloth Swap room will be closed to visitors of the exhibition on Sundays between 10:00 to 14:00
3. Staff will check all the products brought in.